Thursday, October 13, 2011

Journal 3

Students Dig up Dirt to Learn about Internet Safety 

 Morehouse, J. (2010). Students dig up dirt to learn about internet safety. Learning and Leading with Technology, 39(2), 34. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-september-october-2011.aspx
Summary: In this article it provided information regarding the safety ways to use the internet. As we all know almost everyone can be searched on line and be able to find a lot of information. Morehouse gave his students 10 minutes to gather as much information online as possible and the students realize that almost his whole life was online. He then wrote all the different things the students found on the board, with all the information the students gathered they were able to create an image of him. Morehouse delivers many great facts regarding this issue. I have created many accounts over the course of my internet usage which frighten me, because is true without people knowing me they can investigate me and they will gather a lot information about me. After reading this article I will incorporate this in my classes but most importantly to show my students the importance of internet safety. Being able to provide this to students at a young age will expand their awareness on how internet can be dangerous if not used responsibly.

Question 1: What can parents do to monitor their children using the internet? 
In many social networks there is an age requirement which in many cases is easy to bypass and lie about your age. Because social networks are popular I agree with children wanting to open one, but parents have to be involved. This depends on the parents if they get an account as well or get the password to his Child's account to monitor. I would say that although we might trust our children there is many creepers out there that can be dangerous. 

Question 2: How dangerous can internet be?
I would say that it can be harmless but yet very dangerous. It really depends how we all use these types of sites. But children though they do not always know how dangerous it can be. Which means that its our jobs to educate them to use these websites responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment